U5 WE 1
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Unit 5: "Sports"
Let's watch this video to try to guess as many sports as we can:
Activity 1: "Am, is, or are? Verb + -ing?" "It's the present continuous!"
1.1 Watch a video on the use and characteristics of the present continuous tense –also known as the present progressive– and a second video that contrasts the use of the present simple and the present continuous.
1.2 Work with your partners to practice the grammar structure of the present continuous. After that, you can do an activity to review the pronunciation of the present continuous in sentences.
Let's review once more the basic structure of the present continuous:
- I am (verb + -ing) ...
- He / she is (verb + -ing) ...
- You / We / They are (verb + -ing) ...
1.3 Am I studying the present continuous? Yes, I am!
Answer the questions or complete the sentences using the present continuous.
Remember: Questions and answers in the present continuous tense:
Are you playing soccer now? Answer: Yes, I am. / No, I am not.
Is she doing yoga at the moment? Answer: Yes, she is. / No, she isn't.
1.4 The present simple and the present continuous are different!
Remember:
We use the present simple tense when we want to talk about fixed habits or routines –things that don’t change easily.
We use the present continuous tense to talk about actions that are happening at the present moment but will soon finish.
1.5 Spin the wheel to practice questions with Present Simple and Present Continuous.
- Present Simple: Do you eat dinner every evening? Answer: Yes, I do. / No, I don't.
- Present Continuous: Are you eating dinner now? Answer: Yes, I am. / No, I'm not.
Activity 2: What sports do people practice in Costa Rica?
2.1 First, let's review words for sports and other physical activities and the verbs they are paired up with. Classify the activities according to the verb they should be preceded by: play, go, or do.
2.2 Talk with your partners about physical activities that you, your family, and/or your friends practice regularly.
Remember:
When an activity is done regularly, we use the present simple to talk about it.
2.3 Go HERELinks to an external site. to play a game of Jeopardy about the present simple and the present continuous.
Activity 3: I love to go running, but I hate to play basketball!
Review stative verbs with this activity.
For Homework: Take this quiz if you want to review the present simple tense. Submit your answers and get your score!
Class Presentation for Unit 5: Go HERELinks to an external site.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment